SeaKnots

Kevin and friends;
It's always good to meet other Catalina fanatics, although you can't swing an anchor in iny marina without hitting one. A testament to their popularity!
I've owned my Catalina 30 "Avalon" for about 4 years now, and have enjoyed sailng her on Lake Erie, over to Canada, and now in Charleston SC. I used to sail my Alden Malabar Jr. (30 ft.) in San Fransisco Bay, and it's certainly true what they say; if you can sail the bay you can sail anywhere!
A side note; does anyone know of places to get hardware specific to Catalinas? I had a heck of a time trying to replace my 1980 shifter/throttle levers. Ended up going to Kobelt Mfg. in Canada for about $700.00 new!
Good luck and Fair Winds,
Catalinapat

Views: 66

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Pat, and welcome!
I am brand new to sailing, and my boat (pictued on the group's photo) is a 1974 Catalina 27. She is not my first boat, though. I had bought a Hunter 27 Cherubini down in Long Beach California, and attempted to sail her to Vallejo California singlehanded, with only a first generation handheld GPS, a chart, a handheld radio, and a SPOT satelite messenger unit for instrumentation. I made it as far as Santa Barbara before my main halyard clasp came undone, causing the main to come crashing down. I made the decision to put in at Santa Barbara to repair the problem (good choice) at night (BAD choice) and ran aground. I lost my rudder and bent the prop, shaft, and broke the support strut. The insurance company totaled her, and so now I have my Catalina. This boat is MUCH better equipped (radar, depthmeter, knotmeter, installed VHF, solar charger, AM/FM/CD, color tv, etc). I am happy with the Catalina so far, but as my outboard died on me, Ihaven't sailed her yet (that is coming up the week after Father's Day, when I pick up the motor). I am especially anxious to try out the roller furling, and seeing how nice it will be to have al the lines led aft! I will keep you posted on my sailing adventures. By the way, I thought I'd point out that I taught myself to sail while coming out of the harbor in Long Beach.. lol
We have a catalina 30 1985. I haven't posted any pictues yet, but want to introduce myself as a Catalina Fanatic: I have had a catalina 22.ctalina 25 and now my 30.
Welcome aboard! I adore my Catalina 27 (featured on our group photo) Serenity. She is a lovely boat, very comfortable underway, and enough amenities aboard to keep the Admiral happy. I'd love to see some pictures of everyone's boats. I just got mine home to her slip in Vallejo and look to taking her out again this week for some more shakedown sailing, as I am new and need the practice! Fair winds!
Attachments:
Last month, my fiance and I "raced" a MacGregor 65. We were both headed in to the Vallejo Marina, and although the Mac proved faster (huge surprise, I know), it took it nearly 5 miles to overtake and pass us. It was flying about a 150 genoa, while all we could raise was a 110. I think we did well to hold him off for as long as we did, especially since I am a new sailor, and tis was only my fiance's second trip ever on our boat. That's a fine testament to how well designed our Cat 27s are!
Hello, all! Just found this site (thanx to Good Old Boat). Looks great so far! We (my wife Norma and I ) are presently on our 5th (FIFTH) Catalina - started with the 22, then moved thru several years to three different 25's (the first we bought NEW), and now we have a 1988 Catalina 27. I suspect that it doesn't end there - I am searching for a 1988 Mk II 30 in my price range, so who knows?
Bill
HI all, 1990 Catalina 30 SRWK # 5833 Tuckerton NJ
there is a FREE 32 in isthmus oif catalina, lost angeles, ca-----pm me for details....is spozed to be in goooood shape....multiple boat owner giving to good home---has to relocate his boats every 2 weeks and works on catalina island as well---difficult to do.....
Pat,
Don't know what happened to my earlier try to respond - seems like multiple entries of a partial response! Anyway, if you haven't already found it, a great source of Catalina parts is Catalina Direct http://catalinadirect.com/ although it is a long way from you. They seem to have almost all the items I need from time to time.

RSS

Latest Activity

Robert & Sandy replied to sam's discussion eyebrow salon window re-bed in the group Beneteau 40 & 43
"Hello all, I realise coming into this year old conversation could be somewhat strange though sharing advice is always beneficial.. Our B43 had her port large saloon window repaired under warranty after it developed a gap and obvious leak. The boat…"
Mar 12
dryfirewood is now a member of SeaKnots
Mar 4
zeehag left a comment for ___/)ances With Sails
"bubba died  but he seems tohave sent a nother special boy to me..a scared  confuzed precious  with name pusskins which i changed  to sir puurrcival pusskins.  much more refined name for such a precious furry one.  he is…"
Mar 3
___/)ances With Sails commented on LOLA's group SAILBOATS and SLIPS FOR SALE
"My boats for sale. Search Craigslist/New Orleans/S211_A"
Feb 22
___/)ances With Sails left a comment for Lola
"Happy belated holidays!  I'll email you. "
Feb 22
___/)ances With Sails left a comment for zeehag
"Karen!! Dang!!!!  How did Bubba use up 9 lives already? Sorry to read that, kid."
Feb 22
olivia scott updated their profile
Feb 11
olivia scott is now a member of SeaKnots
Feb 9
ADVERTISE ON SEAKNOTS CONTACT US AT: 
candrac@sailforwater.com

© 2024   Created by CAN DRAC.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service