"In March of '08 we got caught in our second Force Ten storm (first was a few years earlier), in the Gulf of Mexico - a Norther that blew all the was down from Canada. We turned and ran before the storm with no engine (a line had gone overboard…"
Thanks for the input John!
I've seen that there is a 29.9 owners association online, but the listings all seem to be older on there, so other than yachtworld or sailboatlistings.com, would you have any recommendations on what might be a good resource to find 29.9's for sale?
You have a beautiful boat. I'm still searching for a boat to take us cruising through the Caribbean and Bristol 29.9's are topping my list! I'd appreciate any advice you could give on them.
I want to Thank you all.. I spent the day at the boat...did all your advice, bimini down, double lined,carry on air cond is in foot locker, all loose inside secured, tied over the sail covers...did not take sails down..but are really tied secure., put out extra fenders...Advice at the Marina...they wanted lines tight. It has floating docks. Sea cocks closed, auto bilge is on...left shore elec on....The Marina folks said this is all for nothing...they all are doing nothing.
With 3 Hurricanes, I don't want to take a chance...I need to spend tomorrow putting my ply wood up at my house. The RV is ready, and I will leave if things get bad here in NC. Boat is at Little River, SC. My house is at Ocean Isle NC
I will post a photo of my ready for the storms boat soon....Thanks again...Please continue to post, You have very good advice and experience to share.
Several times when we've run hard aground and help was not to be found, we've either dinghyed out or swam out with the sail end of the main halyard clipped to a Danforth anchor (if you swim out, put the anchor on a throwable cushion or it'll sink you) then dropped and set the anchor Made our way back to the boat, and winched in the halyard and heeled Paloma over about 45-60 degrees and motored off. But also Paloma is sturdy, ocean going vessel - she's my bluewater warrior princess - you probably saw the picture of her when we got back into Puerto Isabella after fighting a Force 10 storm for 36 hours in the Gulf of Mexico.
Well 2 hours on Adams Creek out of Oriental NC, bringing down my newly upgraded boat( upgrades cost $ 6,000....We went aground and had to stay overnight in Feb.,.and then towed off, which the tow guy said is tricky on my kind of boat, and the captain tried to get off the sand, and my obsolete stuffing box had to be replaced when returned to the boat yard, for a new designed one at $2600...I want to be careful....he ha...Lola
"I have decided to replace mine with the A127 MFD (Raymarine). I will need an adapter plug (A80247) and the sea talk converter kit (E22158) so my other instruments may "talk" with the new MFD. This was information I got when…"