SeaKnots

I don't own a boat yet, but one of my major concerns about owning one is getting hijacked or robbed or killed out at sea where I would be a long way from help. Is this something that rarely happens, or does everyone have to arm themselves?

Views: 184

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think whatever our tactics to defend our domains are, they are best left undescribed. Why tell everyone your packin'? This is how the world is goin to hell on a tv network(s).

Pirates Aboard! by Klaus Hympenahl has some interesting accounts of the drama/knowledge ye might be seeking.
i defend my property by having it look less than wealthy---is a safe way to make yourself not stand out among the yachties of shiney boats on the water---shiney = wealthy and pirate-able---not shiney = not so much money and wealth to remove from the owner lol.....do not flaunt wealth......understatement never hurt the owner of the property....show offs lose.....
I agree with your strategy to some degree because sometimes it works. Most of the time, it doesn't. It's not just the nicest or most expensive things that get stolen. Crimes usually occur out of convenience, you just happen to be there at the wrong time. And wealth is a relative thing, especially when you go into these poorer countries.

If what you are saying is true, then its only the wealthiest neighborhoods that would be robbed. Most roberies occur in poor neighborhoods, probably because its closer to where the criminals are. If you look weak and vulnerable, you're more likely to be a victim no matter what goodies you have on board. Thats just a matter of convenience. Criminals go after whats easy and convenient more often than not.
Anyway, its not defending my property that compells me to arm myself, its what pirates do with the only witness to their crimes that worry me. Property can be replaced. I can always get another boat or another laptop. What I'm worried about is getting killed in the process of them committing their crimes.

If they kill me and throw me overboard, there is no witness to their theft. And out at sea, there is no witness to my murder which makes it an easy and smart thing for them to do.
Where are you planning on going? Just wondering. Terri
I don't plan on going to high risk places, if thats what you're getting at. Piracy occurs all over. You just don't usually hear about it. People just disappear out there and no one knows what happened to them. Everyone just assumes that it was just bad weather or poor seamanship.

Bad people don't only exist on land. Some of them own boats, maybe a stolen boat. And one day, you might come across one of them. It's too easy to kill someone and get away with it out there. There are no witnesses and no help around. You're on your own. Either you're prepared for it or you're at their mercy.
Well, I'm betting that there are no pirates that I would be worrying about that would have computers and be joining social networking sites like this one.

And if there are any pirates reading this, I bet my boat would be the last one they would want to set foot on. There are so many boats that are unarmed all over the harbor. Judging from this forum, most people don't believe in arming themselves and rely on faith or fate or the kindness of others or the kindness and humanity of the pirates to save them. And I always thought sailors were a self reliant bunch.

Why would a pirate go after the one boat that could get them killed? If everyone knew I was armed, that would be a good deterence. Would you rob a boat if you knew the owner was armed and highly trained in using that weapon? I'm an expert markman dude. I placed second in the Junior Olympics. I placed first in 2 out of 3 categories. You don't want to be exchanging gun fire with me. My first shot is going to land on your forehead. Dead pirates tell no tales.

Isn't Klaus a member of Seaknots?
Maybe a good shot...but how about on a rolling boat, woken up in the wrong sleep cycle? I'd leave 50.00 under a shell in the cockpit with fake gold jewelry and brownies...laden with ex-lax and hope for the best! All kidding aside..don't think you really have anything to worry about. Just check with govt. on places you shouldn't be before going.
I'll leave a .45 under the pillow with an extra clip of hollow points and hope for the best. Brownies under my pillow will be too tempting. I'll probably die of obesity. If the pirates don't get me, the brownies will.
Just enjoy yourself and sail. There's a better chance thieves are gonna rip u off at your own marina or mooring while you're not there. Caring weapons while cruising can get one in big trouble in a foreign port, the authorities know all the hiding places. Just don't flash cash, don't wax your boat and take your outboard off the dinghy as much as possible while anchored out and if you have the willies, sleep with a flare gun under your pillow and aim for the widest part of their body, whilst having your fire extinguisher at hand in case it lands on boat and pray it isn't someone you really didn't mean to harm. I'd carry pepper spray, anything else you may end on the wrong end of the weapon. It's probably more dangerous sleeping in a tent in a U.S. Park than most sailing places.
the movie dead calm did no favors to cruising under sail---is a far fetched and imaginary fantasy meant to scare the living sh** out of folks who reside on land.....do not watch it with any sense of it being a cruisers fiction....and do not pick up strangers.....have yer gaffs handy and learn how to use swords ...lol....also----watch yer arses----there have been rare instances of folks in baja being pirated but those who were exhibited wealth and substance----racing teams with logos and signs of wealth---and a guy who slit his own throat --for goodness sake...guns are not legal in most countries and can cause you to lose your boat to impoundment----be safe and wise and wary.....keep abreast of the latest scuttlebutt and do not show pretense to wealth----be down to earth and support the natives in their businesses and markets.....have a great time sailing and have fair winds-i am having a ball----blue water is the best-----dry tortugas are next..lol....2 weeks of incommunicado, to you folks.....lol......wooohooooooo!!!!!!! armed with a great huge attack boatkat----i am ready...lol......
Zeehag, I wasn't talking to you. It was a reply to Bill, who left a comment above you. If you look at the way the comments are indented to show what response was for which comment . . .

And I'm not paranoid. If you carry a life raft on board your boat, are you paranoid? If you carry a first aid kit, are you paranoid? If you carry a backup gps device, are you paranoid? If you have a may day beacon on board, are you paranoid? Just because I wan't to arm myself in case I encounter pirates doesn't make me paranoid. Pirates are a real threat so I would want to have a gun. Boat going down in a bad storm is a real threat, so I would want to have emergency gear. That doesn't make me paranoid.

RSS

Latest Activity

Patrick Findaro posted a discussion

Leading ASP.NET Development Company

ASP.NET is a popular web development framework that is widely used by developers and businesses to build robust and scalable web applications. ASP.NET supports a wide range of programming languages, including C# and Visual Basic, which makes it a versatile choice for developers who are familiar with these languages. ASP.NET is designed to be scalable, which means it can handle large amounts of traffic and data. This can be a good choice for businesses that anticipate rapid growth in their user…See More
1 hour ago
Patrick Findaro is now a member of SeaKnots
4 hours ago
Robert & Sandy replied to sam's discussion eyebrow salon window re-bed in the group Beneteau 40 & 43
"Hello all, I realise coming into this year old conversation could be somewhat strange though sharing advice is always beneficial.. Our B43 had her port large saloon window repaired under warranty after it developed a gap and obvious leak. The boat…"
Mar 12
dryfirewood is now a member of SeaKnots
Mar 4
zeehag left a comment for ___/)ances With Sails
"bubba died  but he seems tohave sent a nother special boy to me..a scared  confuzed precious  with name pusskins which i changed  to sir puurrcival pusskins.  much more refined name for such a precious furry one.  he is…"
Mar 3
___/)ances With Sails commented on LOLA's group SAILBOATS and SLIPS FOR SALE
"My boats for sale. Search Craigslist/New Orleans/S211_A"
Feb 22
___/)ances With Sails left a comment for Lola
"Happy belated holidays!  I'll email you. "
Feb 22
___/)ances With Sails left a comment for zeehag
"Karen!! Dang!!!!  How did Bubba use up 9 lives already? Sorry to read that, kid."
Feb 22
ADVERTISE ON SEAKNOTS CONTACT US AT: 
candrac@sailforwater.com

© 2024   Created by CAN DRAC.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service