SeaKnots

Hi Florida Sailors. Even though I grew up in Florida (Englewood), I didn't start sailing until I moved North (most of my sailing has been on the Chesapeake with a few trips elsewhere). I've been thinking about a bareboat cruise on the West Coast and/or Keys and would like some local knowledge. Some of the trips I've been thinking about are:
1. The Southwest Coast. Perhaps out of Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater and South or North out of Charlotte Harbor
2. The Northwest Coast. Maybe Pensacola/Ft Walton Beach/Panama City area.
3. Key West out to Dry Tortugas or North to some of the other keys.
4. What I would really like is a trip out of Charlotte Harbor to the Dry Tortugas then work my way back through Key West and up the coast. This would be an overnight sail to get to Fort Jefferson.

Some questions:
1. Any comments about the choice of trips? Which one would be the best?
2. When would be the best time of year to take one of the trips? I'm sure June and July would be too hot, July through October is hurricane season, perhaps late Winter or Spring would be the best?
3. Any recommendations on bareboat charter companies? I know of a couple in Charlotte Harbor, a couple in the Keys, and one in Pensacola Beach. Any other recommendations?
4. Anything else I need to be aware of? I don't think commercial traffic would be an issue except in the Tampa Bay area (I've sailed in New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Norfolk areas). Any other issues of note?

Please let me know your thoughts, comments, and suggestions.

Thanks,
Gary

Views: 2428

Replies to This Discussion

Gary
There are a couple of charter companies in the Miami area that have 1 and 2 week itineries to the Keys. The water is very shallow on the inside (the "dark side" of the keys) but there are more places to gunk hole so I would look for a shallow draft boat, my Cat (draft of 3' 7'') is perfect for it. Be aware that all of the Keys is a conservation area and an absolute no discharge zone and it is agresively enforced. In fact if you are boarded and your holding tank(s) are not properly secured it is a big fine. With that said it is a wonderful trip with line of sight sailing all the way to Key West. Best time is Winter and spring.
As a starting point here is a 4 day trip itinerary that is a good exposure to the Keys, but I'd stay longer at some of the destinations http://www.geocities.com/palmbeachboating/keys_navigation_plan.html
Hi Gary - just so everyone knows the 4-day trip itinerary listed below by Scott W has a closed marina listed. Faro Blanco in Marathon has been closed for years. Too bad - it was a great marina - they delivered the Miami Herald to your deck in the morning! I can't answer your questions about a charter company but my husband and I have lived in and sailed the Keys for over 25 years. We live in Islamorada. Everything goes by Mile Markers (MM) in the Keys (on the highway) with Key West being 0. We live at MM 86 so we are 86 miles north of Key West. I disagree with Gary, the water on the inside as he calls it is shallow in many plces but you will sail South on the ICW so you will have no depth problems there. When you leave the ICW to anchor or go into a marina you will need to pay close attention to your charts. We carry a 5 foot draft on our Down East 38 and never have any problems. All our seasons are great sailing - be careful of cold fronts in the winter and can be buggy in late spring and summer. We have cruised to the Dry Tortugas and it is a great adventure. I don't know how much time you will have but you could easy stay a week there. Bring items (read cigarettes and liquor) along to swap for fish with the commercial guys that overnight there. (Should you sail from the west coast to Key West first - the hop from KW to the Dry Tortugas is easy - with a stop in the Marquesas. Also, think about checking out Cape Sable and the Shark River on the Everglades side.) Key West is a destination!!!!! You could spend months there. There are many great marinas, all easily accessible and many great anchorages. The problem in where to tie up your dinghy if you anchor out. Get a good guide book to "do" KW. We are particularly fond of Conch Harbor Marina - beautiful showers and you have access to their pool and restaurant. Ypu can bike everywhere in Key West or rent a motor scooter to see the sights and re-provision. (Try Fausto's Market and the Waterfront Market - and be sure to eat Cuban food somewhere while you are there.) Heading North now exploring the Content Keys would be an option - great lobstering there! Further North don't miss anchoring in Newfound Harbor - and a dinghy ride into Little Palm Island for dinner. It's a splurge but worth it! From, there you will sail to Marathon - and this is a great little town, too. There is a municipal marina, a great anchorage in Boot Key Harbor and also Sombrero has slips. Great little bars and restaurants all around the harbor. If you are bay side the marina choices are fewer and more shallow. At Duck Key, north of Marathon, there is a beautiful and welcoming marina (Hawk's Cay) with a great restaurant - and this is also the home of the Hawk's Cay Resort - recently re-done and I hear it is splendid. Now you are getting into my home territory. If you decide on a charter and find yourself planning to visit this area email me and I will give you ALL the low-down on anchorages, marinas, things to do, restaurants, bars, et al. My husband and I regularly cruise the Bahamas, especially the Exumas, but we still love to sail in our beautiful paradise right here in the Florida Keys. I would tell you to buy Frank Papy's Crusing Guide to the Florida Keys. Not all his info is correct but it is the best you will get. Also, I don't know anything about their operation but there is a charter company here called Tresure Harbor 305-852 2458. Hopes this helps - feel free to call on us at any time! We look forward to sharing our unique insights on the Keys. Susan
Susan
I think we agree on the need for a Shoal or Shallow draft boat. Your Down easter is in fact considered a shoal/shallow draft for a Mono Hull. Any Mono hull 5 feet or less will do Gary well, but I still believe the shallower the better considering he has no local knowledge.
Gary, sorry about the marina error, I just pulled it off the internet to give you a starting place, should have proof read it first.
Also note that there are no facilities on the Dry Tortugas, so bring plenty of water if you intend to stay awhile.
I called Faro Blanco - because my husband thought they might have re-opened......the answering machine stated, "closed indefinitely for renovations".
Sailboats unlimited is a charter company out of Naples, might give you a nice starting spot for either tiptoeing down the everglades, keys, and over to dry tortugas. I use to work as crew for their short trips, but they definitely do bare boat charters as well.
The everglades/ten thousand islands area is beautiful. I've spent most of the last two winters anchoring in the ten thousand islands (mostly on weekends). i think the everglades are quite a bit different from the keys, probably also a bit quieter... depends what you are seeking.
my following blogspot page if you scroll through has a bunch of pictures from the ten thousand islands, everglades, and even some from Tampa (sailing under the skyway). Shark River further down in everglades is absolutely a beautiful area. I use to have pictures from that trip until my computer crashed... trip was prior to my blog site.
http://sailathena.blogspot.com/2007_03_01_archive.html
SV Athena drafts 4.5 feet and even at that draft one most definitely need to watch the charts, position, and depth sounder in the ten T's and everglades!
If you're seeking solitude, I'm not sure there's much better than the ten thousand island and everglades... Unless you're on the outer islands, Dry Tortugas, although extremely beautiful as well, can get crowded during the days as the fast cats come in with visitors. but, at least for the most part, except for a few campers, they leave at night ;)
Scott, Susan, Jen,
Thanks to all of you for your replies. You have given me some good options to consider.
Gary
if you go into tampa bay area and wish to anchor--do not do it in the north yacht basin in st pete--is silt over shale and you will drag anchor ...not fun....there is excellent anchoring in manatee river....
we have sailed from louseyanny to dry tortugas now and back to tampa---we have been in tampa 3 times so far and in tortugas one time and port st joe twice and fort myers twice----seems around tampa is always full of thunderstorm activity--same with fort myers-----will be glad to get into other waters for a bit---gotta get diversity---this was my first time in florida except for a visit thru an airport--has been an interesting experience---one month until i am in san diego again fixing my fo rmosa for travel...LOL......might be sailing again in january------with friend on their boat------we see........happy october!!!
apalachie river is a wonderful experience-----very beautiful--bring bug repellant!!! this seems to be jellyfish season--have seen many....huge ones------so many pretty places to sail and experience------and many islands close by to explore.....is difficult to decide which is the best place in this state for sailing---tampa bay has its positivities--offfshore is very nice----around port st joe is gorgeous----apalachacola is awesome and quaint.....excellent for oysters --watch them harvest them as we came into the bay.....wow------.and tortugas are most excellently awesome----so beautiful and peaceful---fort jefferson is a cool tour----but the water is gorgeous----we could see bottom in 20 ft of water even in moonlight!!!! is fun to watch the fishies feeed and birds cruise--bubba was drooling with all the birdies and fishies around him......
Gary,

It's been a while since I've been on the left coast but all are an option. I had an Island Packet 37 on Tampa Bay out of St. Pete and liked the area a lot. I'd guess someone runs a charter operation there. I had a charter boat for a couple of years in Charlotte Harbor over a decade ago. Lots of nice sailing there too. Running to the Keys and or the Tortugas is nice. Used to be lots of shrimp boats running at night offshore.

Moved the boat to Panama City for over a year and liked that area a lot. suger white sand, green water. chillier than further south.

Weather can be all over the place. I remember motorsailing into 30 knot headwinds at 4:00 am in early december in the rain about 30 miles west of Naples. Air temp was 42 degrees. Of course you should avoid sailing in a hurricaine if at all possible.
january to tortugas then virgins----maybe stopping in panama city this time--havent beent here yet----havent worked out itinerary as yet--but planning to go ....beats staying on the cold wet stormy west coast--kali-- lol....
anyone sailing the west coast of florida and the gulf--is a problem with your bottom paint, probably--there was a rubberiness to phillips antifouling paint and many many small barnacles on his trinidad painted hull 6-8 in below the waterline---paint was useless. phillip phoned petit and spoke with a rep--seems submerged oil is what does this--the repaint is important--keep all receipts and go for it--class action suit is going to be a reality....the rep is on this....
we went from ft myers way out into gulf to come back into slidell, la--we were about 100 mi out into gulf--fairly early into the spill time line---but we still got oiled----please check your hulls--the oil isnt just what you see on the surface--ours was submerged.....we ducked into port st joe...dont know where we picked up the oil...
phillip has the info--contact me and i will get info to you on this....
i enjoyed my year of sailing th gulf-- wasnt bothered b y heat and humidity-- we anchored so breeze always blew thru boat .. short water in florida-- watch your depth. \
you donot want to miss appalachicola if you enjoy seafood. they have best oysters in world. seriously and decently priced. you will become an addict of this west coast sleepy lil town in a swamp. port st joe is a good reprovisioning stop and the marina is wonderful and friendly. they even have bicycle and trikes for store runs. nice fishing store near by also--is bluewater byname and is good---found a light weight fishing rig for 25 dollars--was purple..LOL....try to take icw from appalachicola to psj--is beautiful and no bridges to worry about.
go inside at penscola and take icw to lulus. there is pirate cove in there and there are some really nice anchorages-- ingrams bayou and wolf bay. sail across mobile bay an have fun in mississippi sound.
i donot know bout charter companies there.......

RSS

Latest Activity

Patrick Findaro posted a discussion

How to Make an Free Email Account?

No matter which provider you choose, creating a free email is a simple process. But, it’s still important to know best practices so you can have one that fits your needs the best. The purpose of an email is to provide a space for you to have easy, secure communications. Select an email provider based on your needs as a user. Think about which features, such as top-tier security, email scheduling capabilities, or integrations,…See More
Apr 16
Patrick Findaro posted a discussion

Leading ASP.NET Development Company

ASP.NET is a popular web development framework that is widely used by developers and businesses to build robust and scalable web applications. ASP.NET supports a wide range of programming languages, including C# and Visual Basic, which makes it a versatile choice for developers who are familiar with these languages. ASP.NET is designed to be scalable, which means it can handle large amounts of traffic and data. This can be a good choice for businesses that anticipate rapid growth in their user…See More
Mar 29
Patrick Findaro is now a member of SeaKnots
Mar 29
Robert & Sandy replied to sam's discussion eyebrow salon window re-bed in the group Beneteau 40 & 43
"Hello all, I realise coming into this year old conversation could be somewhat strange though sharing advice is always beneficial.. Our B43 had her port large saloon window repaired under warranty after it developed a gap and obvious leak. The boat…"
Mar 12
dryfirewood is now a member of SeaKnots
Mar 4
zeehag left a comment for ___/)ances With Sails
"bubba died  but he seems tohave sent a nother special boy to me..a scared  confuzed precious  with name pusskins which i changed  to sir puurrcival pusskins.  much more refined name for such a precious furry one.  he is…"
Mar 3
___/)ances With Sails commented on LOLA's group SAILBOATS and SLIPS FOR SALE
"My boats for sale. Search Craigslist/New Orleans/S211_A"
Feb 22
___/)ances With Sails left a comment for Lola
"Happy belated holidays!  I'll email you. "
Feb 22
ADVERTISE ON SEAKNOTS CONTACT US AT: 
candrac@sailforwater.com

© 2024   Created by CAN DRAC.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service