SeaKnots

Rebuilding a 1979 Columbia 8.3 sailboat

Group,
I was given a Columbia 8.3 earlier this month, and I want to keep a running commentary on the rebuilding process. I thought that here, in my blog would be a good place to do it.

August 7,2010
Just a quick note. Looked at and bought a running Atomic 4 today. May not need
it, but thought at the price, it would be foolish not to have it standing by
just in case.
Now to clean up the old engine and see if it turns.
August 15,2010
Picked up the title,boarding ladder and a wood burning bulkhead mounted stove today from the Previous owner. Made plans to move the boat off of his dock by the end of the month.
August 30,2010
I thought that I'd take a few minutes and update you on "the rebuild". This past Friday, I motored the 8.3 "Peace O' Mine" from Urbanna Harbor,Va. to Rivertime Marine in Deltaville,Va. ,an easy 12 mile trip. Rivertime is a new yard, committed to DIY'ers, but with full service available. They are not officially open yet, and are working on ground prep, but the have space for a couple of boats.
So, Friday at 1 pm, they put the 8.3 in slings lifted her out of the water, power washed the bottom and by 3:30, had her on stands.
Pete Malone was on his way to Deltaville to come sailing with me on the 8.7, so I had no plans to work on her this weekend.
Saturday afternoon, after he'd had a nice nap on the high side of the cockpit,and while we were close reaching in winds approaching 6kts, Pete suggested that instead of anchoring out for the nite as we had planned, we go back to D'ville and remove the engine from the 8.3.
Back to D'ville we flew,downwind in a 4kt blow....I know because the engine was pushing us just over 4kts, and there was absolutely no wind to be felt. We got in around 3:30, drove to Pete's boat, picked up something to use as lifting tackle and drove back to D'ville to pull the Atomic 4. Pete doing most of the work, had the engine mount bolts out in short order. I on the other hand was having no luck trying to remove a frozen clevis pin from the Morse control cable for the shifter.With light failing, we put away tools,cleaned up and ate the excellent dinner Pete prepared. Drove again to Pete's boat (about a 35 mile roundtrip) and picked up his old halyards to use to stabilize the boom as we lifted the engine. Mine were totally shot, good only to use as messenger lines to run Pete's thru the sheaves.
Sunday morning,we were up, showered and fed by about 8am. We arrived at the 8.3 just after 8, and with minimal fuss, finished freeing up the motor. All cables were loose, wires were noted and removed from starter,alternator,fuel pump and assorted sending units.
Pete ran the halyards, rigged the boom and attached the lifting gear (my rather lightweight boom vang, and his heavier version). I stood below decks to guide the engine, or to catch it if it fell...riiiiight. All went as planned. We lifted to the bridge deck, made a couple of adjustments, lifted it so that it would clear the gunnel, horsed it around the stanchion gate, and lowered it to the ground. All told, about 5 hours of actual labor, maybe 8 man hours, as I spent alot of time watching what Pete was doing. We derigged the harness, put everything away, Pete showered and was on the road home by just past noon, just as he'd promised his bride.
After he had left, I remembered that I had wanted to remove the "D" marine battery that must weigh 125 lbs, while we had the lifting rig attached. Oh well, next time.
I'm home for a day, then back to D'ville to start the onerous task of cleaning the bilge. I promise not to waste alot of time reporting on that part of the rebuild.

Larry Wilson
Columbia 8.7 "AllAboutMe",Columbia Sabre "Wild Swan", Columbia 8.3 "Peace O' Mine" and 6 or so other assorted sailing vessels.

Views: 713

Comment

You need to be a member of SeaKnots to add comments!

Join SeaKnots

ADVERTISE ON SEAKNOTS CONTACT US AT: 
candrac@sailforwater.com

© 2023   Created by CAN DRAC.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service