It was good to get down to the marina to check on the boat.  The weather was clear, if cool, but that did not prevent me from taking a much needed boat inspection trip.  I had left my bicycle up in the parking lot so I swung a leg over the and peddled down the dock to my boat slip.  I didn’t see anyone on the dock or on any of the boats even though there were a number of cars in the lot at the head of the pier.  Leaning my bike against the electric switch box near my slip I noted that the canvas covers remained tied in place above the hatches, that all the sail covers were all good and a close inspection of the lines assured me that none of them were chafing.  Clambering aboard I unlocked the companion way hatch, set the splash board aside and slid the hatch open.  Turning I backed my way down the ladder and peering at the electric panel abaft the ladder turned on the AC power, DC power along with fresh water pump, battery charger, outlets and overhead lighting.  With that done I went forward to the head to check on it and it was dry, then I pulled up the floorboards in the solon to check the bilges and they were dry too.  Heading aft to my cabin a brief inspection told me everything was good back there; nothing leaking or damp, which is always a concern, however I did note a small patch of mold on one bulkhead but a quick swipe with a cloth dampened with teak polish took care of that until Spring when all the teak with get much needed attention.  I decided to make myself a cup of tea so I filled the tea pot, turned on the propane stove and got it lit after a couple of tries.  I then went aft to get some engine manuals for study at home and got distracted looking at some of the other boat documentation that has to do with other essential boat systems.  Pulling myself out of my daze I realized that the tea pot had not gone off so I pack up what I was going to take with me, stowed the rest of the manuals back in their plastic stowage box and went to find out what the tea pot was up to.  Lifting the pot I discovered that the flame had gone out.  Checking the gas line solenoid I saw that it had turn its self off which is an indication that the propane tank was empty.  Unwilling to go to the trouble to switching tanks I shut everything off and figured I just do without.  With everything covered that I had planned  on doing I buttoned up the boat and walked back up the dock stopping briefly to say “hi” to Jack who was nursing a sore shoulder.  Continuing up to the car I drove over to the captain’s lounge because I saw Tim’s jeep parked there.  Sure enough he was in the TV room working on his computer.  After exchanging warm greetings I asked what he was up to and he related that he was researching some airplane systems he was having problems with convincing the maintenance crew that there was in fact a problem.  Tim is a test pilot and when he says a plane has a problem that plane doesn’t fly.  This plane has been grounded for a while and now the big shots are all upset because a grounded plane is lost income.  At any rate I commiserated with my friend until he suggested we go have something to eat.  Mexican food it was and we had a good time eating and talking.  With that done we said good-by and we headed out in our separate directions.

Views: 5


You need to be a member of SeaKnots to add comments!

Join SeaKnots

© 2022   Created by CAN DRAC.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service