SeaKnots

Just got the AIS up and running on the E120 on our 43. I installed an ICOM 5000 receive only AIS. The two biggest problems were running the data cable back to the E120 and finding the 12V wire that becomes live when the navigation switch on the panel is turned on. I'm not the contorsionist I used to be :) Other than that it was pretty straight forward. Looking forward to knowing what's around me. I think the wife will appreciate it even more as she's always concerend when we have commercial traffic around us, which is often.

Views: 435

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Denis, I have used both and think it 's just a matter of what you get accustomed to.

Mike

Unfortunately the C90W is soft key driven :-(

Hello

Bad news the E90W is not compatible with the analogic radar. So I will have to stick to the classic E80 or E120.

Does someone have a picture of a E120 in the cockpit table.

Thank you.

Denis

Since it didn't want to upload to this reply I posted a picture of it in the photos section. Let me know if you cant find it.

Mike

Thank's Mike that is perfect to show the guy in Beneteau who says it doesn't fit.

Did you have problems with the lights of your E120 ?

My problem now is to find an E120 since it is out of stock and discontinued. The next generation E90W is not compatible with the RD 218 Raymarine Radar. This incompatibility for products that are 3 years old is a problem.

So I am looking for a refurbished or second hand E120 ...

Thanks for your help.I appreciate.

Denis

Denis, glad I could help. No I do not have any issues with the E120, it's great in every aspect. Not sure where you can get a used E120. The incompatibility between the 3 yr old radar and new E or C series plotters is not good on Raymarines part. Three years is way too soon to make something obsolete. Good luck and let me know how you make out.

Mike

Mark, it will depend on where you mount the receiver. I mounted mine in the electrical cabinet behind the VHF since they share the same antenna cable. There is a conduit that has a fish line already available for use. When I ran the wire through I also ran a new fish line since I was using the one already there. The conduit snake it's way to the port aft locker. You'll have to work to get the wire past those twists and turns. I cut small openings in the conduit so I could reach in and help the wire past past the turns. Once into the aft locker I routed the wire over to then along the top center space. Watch for the steering cables and pulleys. I fished it from there through a small channel beneath the cockpit table. There is an access in the table that will allow you to route the wire up and through to the chartplotter. The biggest problem throughout the entire process is fishing the wire through the conduit due to the ridges. Once installed and operating I'm certain you'll love it. It's very nice to be able to identify a commercial vessel by name rather than guessing thier location and hoping they'll respond.

Mike

Many thanks Mike, hopefully we will be amongst it this weekend as we are expecting (hoping) delivery is tomorrow and the weather forecast over the weekend is not good!!

We have gone for a Comar transceiver so we transmit as well

Hopefully it will all integrate with the raymarine - I am sure it will :-)

there will be a post either way

Mark

Mark, mine is a receive only ICOM MX500 and integrates with my E120 just fine. The only thing I don't get is the vector arrow indicating a turn direction. Instead the vector arrow remains straight which I like more as I can match my boats with theirs and know in an instant if we need to alter course. The ability to identify and call a vessel by name is priceless. I've used it numerous times and using the other vessel's name always produces a response from the other captain. Let us know how you make out.

Mike

Well, after eventually finding where the NMEA cable disappeared to the installation went fine. I will post a write up on our website with some pics for those who are tempted to add one. We will have to see if our information pops up on any AIS sites, I did look at the one Alain mentioned but we did not appear over the half hour or so we were live today before having to head back.

We are definitely receiving fine, which is the main thing :-)

Mark, glad to hear you got the AIS installed and operating. Enjoy it!

Mike

Install up on yachtconosur website. In the commercial marina (which we go through to get out to sea) there is a diving vessel and when I switched the AIS on tonight the alarms went off as they were still transmitting and were within the 6 miles audio alert I had set - result :-)

RSS

Latest Activity

Matebiz Ltd is now a member of SeaKnots
May 10
Profile IconBarry Weiss and Cathy Williams joined SeaKnots
Apr 29
Patrick Findaro posted a discussion

How to Make an Free Email Account?

No matter which provider you choose, creating a free email is a simple process. But, it’s still important to know best practices so you can have one that fits your needs the best. The purpose of an email is to provide a space for you to have easy, secure communications. Select an email provider based on your needs as a user. Think about which features, such as top-tier security, email scheduling capabilities, or integrations,…See More
Apr 16
Patrick Findaro posted a discussion

Leading ASP.NET Development Company

ASP.NET is a popular web development framework that is widely used by developers and businesses to build robust and scalable web applications. ASP.NET supports a wide range of programming languages, including C# and Visual Basic, which makes it a versatile choice for developers who are familiar with these languages. ASP.NET is designed to be scalable, which means it can handle large amounts of traffic and data. This can be a good choice for businesses that anticipate rapid growth in their user…See More
Mar 29
Patrick Findaro is now a member of SeaKnots
Mar 29
Robert & Sandy replied to sam's discussion eyebrow salon window re-bed in the group Beneteau 40 & 43
"Hello all, I realise coming into this year old conversation could be somewhat strange though sharing advice is always beneficial.. Our B43 had her port large saloon window repaired under warranty after it developed a gap and obvious leak. The boat…"
Mar 12
dryfirewood is now a member of SeaKnots
Mar 4
zeehag left a comment for ___/)ances With Sails
"bubba died  but he seems tohave sent a nother special boy to me..a scared  confuzed precious  with name pusskins which i changed  to sir puurrcival pusskins.  much more refined name for such a precious furry one.  he is…"
Mar 3
ADVERTISE ON SEAKNOTS CONTACT US AT: 
candrac@sailforwater.com

© 2024   Created by CAN DRAC.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service