SeaKnots

Anchoring stories...is yours funny, scary or both?

As I sit at a quiet anchorage and watch the boats coming in at dusk, I see some boats that come in and set their anchor on the first attempt, others that need to reset it 3-4 times and a few that after the unsuccessful attempts, leave to find a "better holding ground" somewhere else. And still others that ended up frighteningly close to their neighbors at sunrise.

I always wonder what happened and what was said. Sometimes I hear the shouts going back and forth from the helmsman to the person at the bow with the anchor controls. Some of these while stressful at the time, to the onlooker are very comic. Oh if I could be a fly on the boom to get a closer look!

So here it is, the closer look.

What are your classic anchoring stories?

Views: 13

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Anchoring:
No Name Harbor at Key Biscayne is a great place during the week, but on weekends, the locals come to party - and some of them are pretty clueless about anchoring. One 50 foot power boat dropped anchor well off our port bow - simply dropped anchor. In a little while he came floating past us. So he powered forward and again "dropped" anchor. Wasn't long before he came floating past again. After the fourth time he finally left the harbor and we could relax.

Mooring:
In Camden, ME, we woke up at 02:00 to a lobster boat banging against our dinghy davits: Her beam to our stern! The wind was calm and it was slack tide. I don't think that any two boats in the mooring field were facng the same direction. My husband managed to get her off and we fended her off for about an hour until the tide took care of separating us. I grabbed my camera and took photos to show the harbormaster. We had no damage but the other boat had a broken antenna.

It was upsetting to think that the harbormaster had moorings too close together; didn't take into account that sail and power boats don't necessarily swing the same.
Wow! Good thing you guys were alert! I am happy that it ended okay for you. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks but no thanks for sharing! ;-) Just kidding. What a scary experience. I cringed at this story and hope that this never happens while I am on board. You certainly lucked out! Wow!
I only hope these ears and eyes ain't documenting my every stumble and grasp for the nekid ass I be chasin about my pocket cruiser whence thy time comes. I'll be searchin for a shallower draft now I know big sister is at watch! (((LMFAO!!!!)) I be gunkholin' no doubt!

Sorry to dissappoint yer watch.

Cheers!

Sail OOOOOOOOOOON!
___/)

RSS

Latest Activity

Patrick Findaro posted a discussion

Leading ASP.NET Development Company

ASP.NET is a popular web development framework that is widely used by developers and businesses to build robust and scalable web applications. ASP.NET supports a wide range of programming languages, including C# and Visual Basic, which makes it a versatile choice for developers who are familiar with these languages. ASP.NET is designed to be scalable, which means it can handle large amounts of traffic and data. This can be a good choice for businesses that anticipate rapid growth in their user…See More
1 hour ago
Patrick Findaro is now a member of SeaKnots
4 hours ago
Robert & Sandy replied to sam's discussion eyebrow salon window re-bed in the group Beneteau 40 & 43
"Hello all, I realise coming into this year old conversation could be somewhat strange though sharing advice is always beneficial.. Our B43 had her port large saloon window repaired under warranty after it developed a gap and obvious leak. The boat…"
Mar 12
dryfirewood is now a member of SeaKnots
Mar 4
zeehag left a comment for ___/)ances With Sails
"bubba died  but he seems tohave sent a nother special boy to me..a scared  confuzed precious  with name pusskins which i changed  to sir puurrcival pusskins.  much more refined name for such a precious furry one.  he is…"
Mar 3
___/)ances With Sails commented on LOLA's group SAILBOATS and SLIPS FOR SALE
"My boats for sale. Search Craigslist/New Orleans/S211_A"
Feb 22
___/)ances With Sails left a comment for Lola
"Happy belated holidays!  I'll email you. "
Feb 22
___/)ances With Sails left a comment for zeehag
"Karen!! Dang!!!!  How did Bubba use up 9 lives already? Sorry to read that, kid."
Feb 22
ADVERTISE ON SEAKNOTS CONTACT US AT: 
candrac@sailforwater.com

© 2024   Created by CAN DRAC.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service