SeaKnots

At a home on land, there are plenty of options for storing your instrument. It's not necessarily that easy on board. So what do you do? Hard-shell case? Soft-side gig bag? Neither? Do you lay it down on an underused settee, or tuck it away in a spare cabin? How secure is the instrument when you're out on the water and things get choppy?

My Yamaha acoustic is kept in a gig bag that does a fairly decent job of protecting it. Most of the time I leave the guitar in the underused aft cabin. If my daughter is on board (that's her space), I move the guitar to the V-berth by day, and the main salon by night.

What about the rest of you sailors w/ guitars?

Pete
s/v EmmieLou (Oday 322)
Little Silver, NJ

Views: 34

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Soft-side gig bag. That's when I bother putting it in a bag. My guitar is useless if it's not handy. But then, again, my previous guitar exploded in the settee when I left her aboard during the week and the high temperature melted the glue that holds the bridge in place...
OUCH!!!
A long time ago I had a nondescript 3/4 size guitar I bought in a pawn shop in Ft. Lauderdale for 50 bucks.
It was easier to stow and cheap enough that it didn't mind the abuse of boat living. After a few beers, the guitar sounded and looked more beautiful (Musical beer goggles).
I think I gave it to somebody who needed a guitar in Antigua.
The next time I do end up on a longer passage, I would consider one of those Martin Back Packer or Washburn Rover guitars.
A guy was playing one of those Martins with a sound hole pickup at a cafe jam and it sounded awesome. (Yes, more beer goggles... :)
Anyone play one of those Martin Backpackers or Washburn Rovers?
I have had a Martin Backpacker for several years and stopped carrying any of my other full size guitars aboard. it stows easily is protected fairly well in it's bag... plan to put a pickup under the bridge so i can plug in when the opportunity arises.
I usually play songs by John Denver, America, Praise and Worship songs, and instrumental songs that I have written.

RSS

Latest Activity

Robert & Sandy replied to sam's discussion eyebrow salon window re-bed in the group Beneteau 40 & 43
"Hello all, I realise coming into this year old conversation could be somewhat strange though sharing advice is always beneficial.. Our B43 had her port large saloon window repaired under warranty after it developed a gap and obvious leak. The boat…"
Mar 12
dryfirewood is now a member of SeaKnots
Mar 4
zeehag left a comment for ___/)ances With Sails
"bubba died  but he seems tohave sent a nother special boy to me..a scared  confuzed precious  with name pusskins which i changed  to sir puurrcival pusskins.  much more refined name for such a precious furry one.  he is…"
Mar 3
___/)ances With Sails commented on LOLA's group SAILBOATS and SLIPS FOR SALE
"My boats for sale. Search Craigslist/New Orleans/S211_A"
Feb 22
___/)ances With Sails left a comment for Lola
"Happy belated holidays!  I'll email you. "
Feb 22
___/)ances With Sails left a comment for zeehag
"Karen!! Dang!!!!  How did Bubba use up 9 lives already? Sorry to read that, kid."
Feb 22
olivia scott updated their profile
Feb 11
olivia scott is now a member of SeaKnots
Feb 9
ADVERTISE ON SEAKNOTS CONTACT US AT: 
candrac@sailforwater.com

© 2024   Created by CAN DRAC.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service