SeaKnots

Hey Folks

My batteries never seemed to take a full charge since I bought the boat new in 08. they are now setting of alarms within 30 minutes of cruise time. I'm going to change them out. any recommendations? cost isn't a factor as long as they last and can hold a charge for a few hours.

thanks

Mike Cioffi

Views: 1301

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with James' points above.  My obsession with the batteries significantly lightened when I got a LinkLite battery monitor that accurately reflected the battery state.  This includes the voltage of the house and engine batteries, how much current is being drawn or if charging with alternator/charger/solar stored, the number of amp hours I'm down from full, and the percentage of my bank used. 

I had 3 Deka 4D lead-acid batteries and I've found that key to good performance was equalizing often, at least once a month. I measured the specific gravity of each cell using a hydrometer occasionally when I got suspicious things were not well. Recently, I had been getting bad performance. I'd charge up the bank and with any significant load the voltage would drop close to 12V too quickly.  I found that one of the batteries was a bit ripe and took it off the boat.  Since then the performance is much much better and two batteries are enough.  My batteries are now almost 5 years old and I'm trying to get through one more season before I get some Deka 8D AGM's (245 amp hours each).  

My solar panels rock.  I mounted them just like James.  See picture below.  Note that the yellow line is where we built a cross bar to attach the forward part of the panels (this pict was used to plan the bar's construction - I installed these while at anchor in Miami on the fly so I kinda winged it).  Now super secure and we can even remove our bimini. I can take better picts if people are interested. I'm too on a mooring ball and never turn off my fridge (I leave freezer off) even when we leave the boat for a week or two.  I return always thinking the batteries are going to be dead, but find that they are almost always full.  I considered a bigger alternator but since installing the solar panels, I never use the engine to charge the batteries. If we hit a few rainy days in a row, I pull out my honda generator and use the battery charger. If anything, I'm considering upgrading my charger.  I've got my eye on the Mastervolt charger/inverter (2500W puresine inverter; 100a charger) to replace the 40a charger and stock inverter.

/cc

The teak is beautiful Clayton. I am gonna follow your recommendation on product and application.

Agm or lead acid battery is personal but I think we all agree these boats need power and solar delivers if installed properly. We also agree there should also be a separate battery monitor to keep an eye on the charging system.  Like Clayton, we have a Linklite battery monitor but there are other very good monitors out there.

James

Hey Clayton

It seems you and James have it down. this is the design i am going to do. it seems to be the best.

Michael,

You are near Port Jeff, right?  We got our canvas and steel work done at "the canvas store" in Huntington.  Is that where you got yours?  I'll take some better pictures this next week when I'm on the boat for a couple of weeks - sailing up to Maine!

/cc

Hi Clayton, yes we are on port jeff harbor, where are you? i had my work done at the canvas store too. they did a great job there. Pictures would be great, thanks.

Sounds like you do a lot of cruising. we should hook up one day. i would love to swap ideas,

Michael,

That would be great.  I wonder if we've crossed paths on the sound.  I kept my B40 on City Island a couple of years ago, but now have her in Newport.  I've been to Port Jeff many times.  What is your boat's name?  I'll keep a look out and give a hollar if I'm heading down that way.  

/cc

Zingara is the name. we have to moorings here. one by strongs neck inlet just west has you enter port jeff harbor and one in the east mooring feild as you get closer to port. your always welcome to them when your in town.

also, just spoke with my marina guy. im bringing her in on Friday and we are going to trick that baby out. two new house batteries a new starting battery and there going to change out some of the wiring and add some volt meters. we will go into more detail when im there. ill install the solar panels since they look pretty easy. I didn't want to mess with changing any wiring. my luck ill burn the boat down. LOL

Good luck with the upgrades. Let us know the details and what you think of it when they're done.

Mike

will do Mikey

thanks for all your help

Awesome! Might take you up on that one day. Good luck with the work.

RSS

Latest Activity

Patrick Findaro posted a discussion

How to Make an Free Email Account?

No matter which provider you choose, creating a free email is a simple process. But, it’s still important to know best practices so you can have one that fits your needs the best. The purpose of an email is to provide a space for you to have easy, secure communications. Select an email provider based on your needs as a user. Think about which features, such as top-tier security, email scheduling capabilities, or integrations,…See More
Apr 16
Patrick Findaro posted a discussion

Leading ASP.NET Development Company

ASP.NET is a popular web development framework that is widely used by developers and businesses to build robust and scalable web applications. ASP.NET supports a wide range of programming languages, including C# and Visual Basic, which makes it a versatile choice for developers who are familiar with these languages. ASP.NET is designed to be scalable, which means it can handle large amounts of traffic and data. This can be a good choice for businesses that anticipate rapid growth in their user…See More
Mar 29
Patrick Findaro is now a member of SeaKnots
Mar 29
Robert & Sandy replied to sam's discussion eyebrow salon window re-bed in the group Beneteau 40 & 43
"Hello all, I realise coming into this year old conversation could be somewhat strange though sharing advice is always beneficial.. Our B43 had her port large saloon window repaired under warranty after it developed a gap and obvious leak. The boat…"
Mar 12
dryfirewood is now a member of SeaKnots
Mar 4
zeehag left a comment for ___/)ances With Sails
"bubba died  but he seems tohave sent a nother special boy to me..a scared  confuzed precious  with name pusskins which i changed  to sir puurrcival pusskins.  much more refined name for such a precious furry one.  he is…"
Mar 3
___/)ances With Sails commented on LOLA's group SAILBOATS and SLIPS FOR SALE
"My boats for sale. Search Craigslist/New Orleans/S211_A"
Feb 22
___/)ances With Sails left a comment for Lola
"Happy belated holidays!  I'll email you. "
Feb 22
ADVERTISE ON SEAKNOTS CONTACT US AT: 
candrac@sailforwater.com

© 2024   Created by CAN DRAC.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service