SeaKnots

How did you name your boat? I am always curious about how people name their boat and if there is a story behind it. After seeing all of the names on this site, I am looking forward to hearing the stories...So, If you have a boat how did you come up with the name?

Views: 1232

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I bought my present sailboat in 2001. My son bought a powerboat in 2000 and since our name is McCoy he named his “The Real McCoy”. Since he had taken this name and we shared a dock I named my new to me Bayfield “Real McCoy Too”. My previous sailboat was named “Whimsy” as I had bought it on a whim after a friend had taken me out on his Alacrity bilge keel sailboat and taught me how to sail. Since I learned to sail in an Alacrity I thought I would look for one and in a couple of weeks I found one for sale a few miles from my home. I had given the Alacrity to my step-son as he was the only one of the 3 boys that liked sailing; my 2 sons both went the powerboat route. This boat now has a new owner in Virginia that has done a great job of restoring it to its former glory.
Mine came with the boat, "Moondance", but I am going to change it at the next haul out. My Dad's boat was named "bestfriend" and I will probably use that as a tribute, or some derivative of that.
Bestfriend opens up the possibility of "Little Buddy" or some other play on the Bestfriend theme. Let us know when the time comes.
That is so sentimentally beautiful. Best of luck!
You Just Know! Naming your boat is probably the most intimate step in acquisition. A form of foreplay before the intense endeavours to satisfy yourself in ways that only a sailor would appreciate. :P

I sail a Vagabond 14 (daysailor) which my soulmate and myself purchased (50/50). Her last name (Perkins) and mine (Hill), hence Perkins Hill, found its way to the stern without any hesitation whatsoever. I was like a kid in a candy store when I palmed the paint brush. And it happened just as fast as I me picking out the font I liked.

Buying our first boat (2000), anticipating the maiden voyage made me think of the things that elevates me highest and adequate credit was certainly due.

___/)
That's a cool name. I also like your screen name, dances with sails. It's so creative!
We named our new-to-us Gemini 105M catamaran "Confuse A Cat" after a Monty Pyton sketch our family gets a kick out of.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2Je1CEPkUM&feature=related
well in the tradtion of the New England sailors of a lady's 1st name and her last intial, I am naming my boat after my grandmother.....Ula Grenfel.....so she becomes the Ula G........now let me know if you got it? Dick
Oh dear!
I am fascinated with Japanese Animation, and try to bring Japanese aestheticism into my life because I like it. One of my favorite anime is called "Martian Battleship Nadesico," and after much thought I named my Hunter 31 Nadesico. There is a saying in Japanese "Yamato Nadesico" which is a woman who posesses all traditional Japanese graces, so the name was fitting. Also, my dinghy/kayak Aestevalis is named because those are Nadesico's high powered mobile spacegoing protectors in the anime. Also, nadesico is the name of a pretty japanese flower dianthus superbus which is a pretty red flower which has an american counterpart utilized in landscaping around here a lot. I don't have any pets but I keep a common dianthus at the dock so if anybody asks the name I can explain with visual aids. Also, I just convinced my buddy to name his catamaran Hayaku which is the adverb form of fast.
Very interesting. Learn something new every day-Thanks for sharing!
Nauti-Gal
...was commisioned that,(I'm the second owner) and I 've heard you don't change the name because it's bad luck!
So it stays

RSS

Latest Activity

Robert & Sandy replied to sam's discussion eyebrow salon window re-bed in the group Beneteau 40 & 43
"Hello all, I realise coming into this year old conversation could be somewhat strange though sharing advice is always beneficial.. Our B43 had her port large saloon window repaired under warranty after it developed a gap and obvious leak. The boat…"
Mar 12
dryfirewood is now a member of SeaKnots
Mar 4
zeehag left a comment for ___/)ances With Sails
"bubba died  but he seems tohave sent a nother special boy to me..a scared  confuzed precious  with name pusskins which i changed  to sir puurrcival pusskins.  much more refined name for such a precious furry one.  he is…"
Mar 3
___/)ances With Sails commented on LOLA's group SAILBOATS and SLIPS FOR SALE
"My boats for sale. Search Craigslist/New Orleans/S211_A"
Feb 22
___/)ances With Sails left a comment for Lola
"Happy belated holidays!  I'll email you. "
Feb 22
___/)ances With Sails left a comment for zeehag
"Karen!! Dang!!!!  How did Bubba use up 9 lives already? Sorry to read that, kid."
Feb 22
olivia scott updated their profile
Feb 11
olivia scott is now a member of SeaKnots
Feb 9
ADVERTISE ON SEAKNOTS CONTACT US AT: 
candrac@sailforwater.com

© 2024   Created by CAN DRAC.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service