SeaKnots

Hello all. We're "future" owners (Aug '09 and counting down!). We (meaning me) have done a lot of boat research but keep returning to the Catalinas. I'm thinking about joining the owners association now so that I can start receiving the Mainsheet newsletter. My hope is that this will give me more insight as to what we're getting into as far as boat quirks, common repairs, engine issues, etc. Has anyone else done this and was it helpful?

Donna

Views: 27

Replies to This Discussion

Donna, first of all, welcome aboard! I don't get that newsletter, but I will say this: I ADORE my Catalina 27sr. My boat is old, but you'd have trouble telling that she was launched in 1974. I think that's a testament to how well built they are. Someone from the Catalina 27 owner's forum has even said that, contrary to the popular trend, Catalinas are actually going UP in quality with the newer models. That being the case, Catalina represents a superb value and a fine sailing boat!
Donna,

Just seeing this and so will chime in. Mainsheet is a good newsletter. The focus is on events, and maintenance issues so it should help you get a sense on what you are getting into. You might also join the owners association for the specific model you are looking add. The email/blogs will give you a better sense of what current owners are experiencing.
Catalina makes great boats, but like all boats there are tradeoffs. What will you use her for? Where are you located? What are the prevaling conditions? Answering some of these would help determine if a Catalina is the right boat.

Jeff
S/V "Mattissa" 1980 C30
Donna,

You can't go wrong with a Catalina. Of course, it all depends on what kind of sailing you want to do and size of boat. With regards to engine issues, just about every boat has a different engine type. I myself have a Perkins engine but made in Japan. Perkins is a well reputable name but occasionally I have issues with getting parts. Your best bet is to thoroughly inspect your boat prior to purchase and depending on the age of the boat, you need to decide if you want to deal with repairs or not. I purchased a brand new 270 14 years ago and absolutely love the boat. However, the boat is now entering the repair stage of her life and fortunately I know what needs to be done and what she has been exposed to.

Best of luck,

Manolo
Thanks for the input. We've done a couple years' worth of boat research so only if we somehow end up being given a boat of comparable size, we're ready to buy a Catalina 30. While at the Annapolis boat show this year we signed up to receive the Mainsheet and I'm glad I did. There happens to be a Catalina 30 for sale at the end of our dock so we see it as a sign. :) We're looking forward to a new boat even more now that our current boat suffered hull damage during heavy winds while in the slip. Next step: start boarding the boats for sale for which I've kept a list.

Donna

RSS

Latest Activity

Robert & Sandy replied to sam's discussion eyebrow salon window re-bed in the group Beneteau 40 & 43
"Hello all, I realise coming into this year old conversation could be somewhat strange though sharing advice is always beneficial.. Our B43 had her port large saloon window repaired under warranty after it developed a gap and obvious leak. The boat…"
Mar 12
dryfirewood is now a member of SeaKnots
Mar 4
zeehag left a comment for ___/)ances With Sails
"bubba died  but he seems tohave sent a nother special boy to me..a scared  confuzed precious  with name pusskins which i changed  to sir puurrcival pusskins.  much more refined name for such a precious furry one.  he is…"
Mar 3
___/)ances With Sails commented on LOLA's group SAILBOATS and SLIPS FOR SALE
"My boats for sale. Search Craigslist/New Orleans/S211_A"
Feb 22
___/)ances With Sails left a comment for Lola
"Happy belated holidays!  I'll email you. "
Feb 22
___/)ances With Sails left a comment for zeehag
"Karen!! Dang!!!!  How did Bubba use up 9 lives already? Sorry to read that, kid."
Feb 22
olivia scott updated their profile
Feb 11
olivia scott is now a member of SeaKnots
Feb 9
ADVERTISE ON SEAKNOTS CONTACT US AT: 
candrac@sailforwater.com

© 2024   Created by CAN DRAC.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service