SeaKnots

The Fourth Annual MassBaySailors Winter Solstice Holiday Party!

The Fourth Annual MassBaySailors Winter Solstice Holiday Party!

2 Guests of Honor & speakers;
Halsey Herreshoff

Furthering the Herreshoff heritage as a designer and a sailor, Halsey (b. 1933) earned his stripes as an America's Cup bowman, tactician and navigator, with four successful defenses and one that wasn't, Liberty in 1983.

His Freedom 40 design led to a line of Herreshoff cat ketches from 27 to 45 feet and changed the way the world felt about un-stayed rigs. Perhaps his greatest contribution to sailing has been his development of the Herreshoff Marine Museum and America 's Cup Hall of Fame in Bristol , R.I.

and

Joe Duplin

A local lifelong Winthrop resident who is an international sailing legend.

ICSA Hall of Fame Inductees for 2008

LIFETIME SERVICE AWARD

Recognizing a career of extraordinary service to college sailing, whether as volunteer or professional; one honoree per year; nominees must have passed their 60th birthday.

Joseph Duplin

1963 World's Championship – Chicago

Sunday December 21, 2008

At 4:00 PM (please mark your calendars!)

Winthrop Yacht Club

649 Shirley Street, Winthrop , MA 02152

617-846-9774, 846-9825

http://www.win- yc.org/

Wow, how time flies, another year nearly gone by.

As busy as we all are, I ask you to make time for another MassBaySailors get together.

This is an open invitation to all MassBaySailors, their guests and any area sailing enthusiast.

Planning is underway for the Fourth Annual MassBaySailors Winter Solstice Holiday Party. Yup, the 4th. In 2005 we had 19 people attend an evening of dinner and drinks at Ironside’s Grill in Charlestown . The next 2 years we had 35 attend each time at WYC. This year I hope we get 50 or more attendees.

Each year we’ve had an optional Yankee Swap (with a nautical gift theme) which turns out to be pretty fun.

This year it’ll again be held at WYC, you can’t beat FREE. I’m coordinating with the function manager to insure we have adequate accommodations. It’ll be a cash bar with our full Pub Menu, appetizers and snacks.

There will be music, a Yankee Swap (with a nautical gift theme in the $20 to $25 range) and maybe even a video presentation.

I’m also working on scheduling a local legend of world-class sailing to be our honored guest and speaker. I’m inviting some Boston Volvo Ocean Race organizers as well as other Harbor area planners & coordinators.

Please understand that the most important element of this event will be us all getting together to celebrate the shortest day of the year, sharing some Holiday enthusiasm and rounding the mark towards next season.

Note: The Patriot’s Game, against the Cardinal’s, airs at 1:00 PM this same day, so please feel free to arrive early at WYC to watch the game with us on our 6 TV’s including a 7’ HD screen.

Views: 24

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds Great..I have the Proper boat..a FREEDOM..however can't attend, due to...lack of sailing experience...do I want to go North?....can you do it in Myrtle Beach, SC next time? Sure sounds like a great Meetup...Share your photos with us.

Have fun.
Halsey C. Herreshoff designed our Bristol 29.9 as well, so why don't you hold the Soltice in Corpus Christi, TX. Why you say, because it will be 81 degrees there tomorrow, palm trees abound and the poinsettias are in bloom, need I say more?
Darn! Being originally from Massachusetts and also having a Herreshoff designed Bristol 29.9, now I wish I was traveling "home" for the holidays and able to attend!!!! but alas, my blood has run thin and dare I leave the Florida sun this time o' year... :)
sounds awesome. Happy Holidays everyone!
Hello Capt Bill,

Sounds like this may be something I am interested in. I am over here in Chelsea too and have never been to WYC. Do you think you could give me directions from here? Perhaps I can help you reach the 50 attendance mark........

~Barbara
Onboard Topaz
http://www.win-yc.org/

649 Shirley Street, Winthrop, MA 02152
617-846-9774, 846-9825

e-mail at Catalina30Ruby@yahoo.com

Barbara,

WYC’s address above, I suggest you www.MapQuest.com it

Simple directions from Chelsea;

Take Rt. 16 toward Revere/Lynn

Turn Right onto Rt. 145 (heading toward Target/Suffolk Downs/Shaws

Pass Suffolk Downs & Shaws road bends left, continue to Revere Beach Rotary

Once in Rotary, turn right onto Rt. 145 towards Winthrop.

Stay on Rt. 145 into Winthrop at first light head straight (Crest Ave.) continue through a small business/retail area ..

At a small noll, school on left, Rt. 145 bears right, don’t follow Rt. 145, continue straight keeping Ocean & Beach at left, Ocean Ave.

Continue straight… follow this road (Ocean Ave.) along the beach all the way to the end until you have to turn Right.

Head straight, about 50 yards until Stop sign. Turn Left onto Shirley St.

WYC is up on Right about 50 yards. A Big Brown Bld., over the water.

About another 50 yards past WYC is a public & free parking lot, park there.

See you Sunday at or near 4:00 PM

Bill

RSS

Latest Activity

Robert & Sandy replied to sam's discussion eyebrow salon window re-bed in the group Beneteau 40 & 43
"Hello all, I realise coming into this year old conversation could be somewhat strange though sharing advice is always beneficial.. Our B43 had her port large saloon window repaired under warranty after it developed a gap and obvious leak. The boat…"
Mar 12
dryfirewood is now a member of SeaKnots
Mar 4
zeehag left a comment for ___/)ances With Sails
"bubba died  but he seems tohave sent a nother special boy to me..a scared  confuzed precious  with name pusskins which i changed  to sir puurrcival pusskins.  much more refined name for such a precious furry one.  he is…"
Mar 3
___/)ances With Sails commented on LOLA's group SAILBOATS and SLIPS FOR SALE
"My boats for sale. Search Craigslist/New Orleans/S211_A"
Feb 22
___/)ances With Sails left a comment for Lola
"Happy belated holidays!  I'll email you. "
Feb 22
___/)ances With Sails left a comment for zeehag
"Karen!! Dang!!!!  How did Bubba use up 9 lives already? Sorry to read that, kid."
Feb 22
olivia scott updated their profile
Feb 11
olivia scott is now a member of SeaKnots
Feb 9
ADVERTISE ON SEAKNOTS CONTACT US AT: 
candrac@sailforwater.com

© 2024   Created by CAN DRAC.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service