SeaKnots

Hi,
I'm hoping for a relocation where I can sail more than May-Oct. I have relatives who live near the Jacksonville part of Florida, as well as the Clearwater part of Florida. I'm wondering if I can get some opinions on how much sailing can be had in either spot in the state? I am often told sailing in New England is best, but when you feel the cool air Labor Day weekend, you know the sailors will be skiing again soon.

Thanks a bunch

Views: 1838

Replies to This Discussion

Truly wonderful photos, I am a sunset picture passionater myself :) There are those whose dream is to sail the east coast to all the lovely islands in the Carribean, and yet mine is to sail to Mexico in the very Gulf you depict so beautifully here. Thanks!
I know Gulfport from driving through it once not that long ago when looking at a boat at the marina in St. Pete. I also had a friend from Winthrop Yacht Club who did his snowbird winters there, although last year he decided to teach skiing in NH. What is the worst the weather is in your opinion? My sister was practically crying last June with the heat indexes of 104+. She felt like a prisoner, and all I kept thinking of the prisoner snowstorms make of me :) I'll be down in December, and would love to chat more then,
Robin: If you like warm water and warm weather most of the year with relative moderate seas with plenty of gunkholeing available then I think you would like the westcoast of florida. I have been sailing that area for over 40yrs. and some of the eastcoast as well and I find the westcoast a tad better. Plenty of anchorages all within about a 8hr. sail, close to the keys and not really that far from the Bahamas. The westcoast seems to me to be alittle more laidback compared to the eastcoast. Anyway, thats my take on this area. Good luck in your search..........
captnron
west coast of florida is awesome--appalachicola is quaint and has the best oysters in heaven!!! goood shrimps too--can be found for 3 dolla / pound from th eshrimpres in their basin!! water street marina is nice and friendly--is a hotel also--beware the raccoon!!!! she is gorgeous but WILL come into your boat at night for feeding frenzy!!! regatta pointe marina in manatee river is a nice one also--is a good place for provisioning, as is port st joe marina--they have bicycles for use by boaters LOL---tricycles and beach cruisers!!(i am getting reallllly gooo dat 3 wheeling ..LOL).....stores are very close by and the town is cool---good eateries and lulu's for ice cream---omg, the BEST!!!! and cakes and candies lol........even has a good will store--i found a london f og foulie jacket there for the cold nites on the water--didnt come prepared..LOL.....fort myers is cool also--has 2 decent pizza places--on eis owned by old men from noo joizey...gooooood pizza there--and another is run by kids LOL....decent pizza there also.....trolley is 50 cents to anywhere.....easy access.
Oysters, I'm sold!! Thanks
I would strongly recommend the west coast of Fla. over the other side. Lots of very good sailing, year round on both sides, but the west coast is much more laid back, much more boater friendly, and much less expensive. Hasn't yet become taken over by the condos. Tons of really nice anchorages, and enough decent to excellent marinas to get into. Some pretty skinny water though.
Wow Phil,
You argue a very strong case here :) Tons of really nice anchorages sounds lovely and decent marinas always a plus! Funny, I have a friend from NH who winters in there near St. Pete and he used the "skinny water" description as well. So no matter what you draw, I expect you have to mind your charts and depths.
Thanks,
Robin
robin--those pix were from west coast of florida when phil and i were sailing there---i cant wait to go back out--this time we will be taking in some of mexico's east coast as well as caribbean and tortugas....we leave in a few weeks so there will be a whole lot more new pix of evewrything...LOL....glad you like them!!!! they are soo much fun to take!!
happy sailing!
we will be in port st joe in less than a week----leaving tomorrow fo rthere--then to isla mujeres.....
Hi all,
Well, been in Jacksonville area as a base since November, can't say I found ANY sailing here....saw my first sailboat on the ocean daysailing down at the Ponce Inlet where I went to climb the lighthouse. Made a trip to Shake-a-leg on Biscayne Bay and that's beautiful, but of course the area is pricey. I wanted to see the Keys, and did :) I explored the west, Gulf coast, but with all the traffic (I love to bicycle around), can't say I felt comfortable in Tampa or Clearwater, etc. Got to Davis Island, nice, but the yacht club was snooty....so I have my captain's license and will leave Florida and head up to Lake Michigan. I went to Strictly Sail in Chicago and met people I BELIEVE I can sail with, they were very friendly! Hope to be there 2 years while my son finishes up his Phd, and crew. Then if I can find a way to afford Lauderdale-by-the Sea or close to there, I may be back in a bit. I have HATED sitting on boats and not sailing, God, I'm addicted!
Thanks for all your feedback,
Robin
Robin, you have to cruise the West Coast of Florida!! From Boca Grande to the Keys, nothing like it. I sail year-round out of Ft. Myers Beach and love it!

Donn
sv Namaste

“I am not afraid of storms for I am learning how to sail my ship.”
Louisa May Alcott

RSS

Latest Activity

Patrick Findaro posted a discussion

How to Make an Free Email Account?

No matter which provider you choose, creating a free email is a simple process. But, it’s still important to know best practices so you can have one that fits your needs the best. The purpose of an email is to provide a space for you to have easy, secure communications. Select an email provider based on your needs as a user. Think about which features, such as top-tier security, email scheduling capabilities, or integrations,…See More
Apr 16
Patrick Findaro posted a discussion

Leading ASP.NET Development Company

ASP.NET is a popular web development framework that is widely used by developers and businesses to build robust and scalable web applications. ASP.NET supports a wide range of programming languages, including C# and Visual Basic, which makes it a versatile choice for developers who are familiar with these languages. ASP.NET is designed to be scalable, which means it can handle large amounts of traffic and data. This can be a good choice for businesses that anticipate rapid growth in their user…See More
Mar 29
Patrick Findaro is now a member of SeaKnots
Mar 29
Robert & Sandy replied to sam's discussion eyebrow salon window re-bed in the group Beneteau 40 & 43
"Hello all, I realise coming into this year old conversation could be somewhat strange though sharing advice is always beneficial.. Our B43 had her port large saloon window repaired under warranty after it developed a gap and obvious leak. The boat…"
Mar 12
dryfirewood is now a member of SeaKnots
Mar 4
zeehag left a comment for ___/)ances With Sails
"bubba died  but he seems tohave sent a nother special boy to me..a scared  confuzed precious  with name pusskins which i changed  to sir puurrcival pusskins.  much more refined name for such a precious furry one.  he is…"
Mar 3
___/)ances With Sails commented on LOLA's group SAILBOATS and SLIPS FOR SALE
"My boats for sale. Search Craigslist/New Orleans/S211_A"
Feb 22
___/)ances With Sails left a comment for Lola
"Happy belated holidays!  I'll email you. "
Feb 22
ADVERTISE ON SEAKNOTS CONTACT US AT: 
candrac@sailforwater.com

© 2024   Created by CAN DRAC.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service