SeaKnots

We have a 2004 Beneteau 331 which takes in water into the forepeaks only when taking water over the bows. Normally bone dry (even in heavy rain), she absorbed 7 buckets full in a recent crossing from France in 25-30kt winds. Hatches and windows, logs all not guilty, and windlass electrics compartment bone dry. I can only assume that the anchor locker is somehow to blame. Any suggestions or relevant experience?

Views: 417

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Has to be the anchor locker , check it out carefully and reseal or galls up the seams again

If you have a anchor locker, check the drain and the hose that connects to the hull from the drain.  also check the hawser.

Maybe check the deck and hull seam at the bow.  If your have a small gap that opens as the boat plows into a wave,

the water pressure can force water in when the stressed area opens up. 

Just had a similar experience, in my Cascade 36 going to Hawaii. I lay up in the for-peak, for about a half hour, and noticed that when the boat plunged into a wave, at certain angles, water would come in thru the anchor locker drain. When the boat then rose up again, the water was unable to run back out. So, I cut off a piece of dowel, and hammered the tapered end into the drain hole; voila, stopped it.

Hope that helps.

Interesting idea, John.  I actually followed Paddy's advice and got the sealant gun out, around the bulkhead between the anchor locker and the forepeaks. I also discovered, after removing the chain and warp, that the anchor locker drain was partially blocked by a small stone. We need a drain as the locker is not sealed from above and would otherwise fill with rain (or sea) water.  We have had 'green aboard' on many occasions since, and I am pleased to say that there has been no evidence of water in the forepeaks - thus far!  Happy sailing in Hawaii.

RSS

Latest Activity

Robert & Sandy replied to sam's discussion eyebrow salon window re-bed in the group Beneteau 40 & 43
"Hello all, I realise coming into this year old conversation could be somewhat strange though sharing advice is always beneficial.. Our B43 had her port large saloon window repaired under warranty after it developed a gap and obvious leak. The boat…"
Mar 12
dryfirewood is now a member of SeaKnots
Mar 4
zeehag left a comment for ___/)ances With Sails
"bubba died  but he seems tohave sent a nother special boy to me..a scared  confuzed precious  with name pusskins which i changed  to sir puurrcival pusskins.  much more refined name for such a precious furry one.  he is…"
Mar 3
___/)ances With Sails commented on LOLA's group SAILBOATS and SLIPS FOR SALE
"My boats for sale. Search Craigslist/New Orleans/S211_A"
Feb 22
___/)ances With Sails left a comment for Lola
"Happy belated holidays!  I'll email you. "
Feb 22
___/)ances With Sails left a comment for zeehag
"Karen!! Dang!!!!  How did Bubba use up 9 lives already? Sorry to read that, kid."
Feb 22
olivia scott updated their profile
Feb 11
olivia scott is now a member of SeaKnots
Feb 9
ADVERTISE ON SEAKNOTS CONTACT US AT: 
candrac@sailforwater.com

© 2024   Created by CAN DRAC.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service