The last few times I have filled my aft water tank without filling the forward water tank, I have run into problems maintaining water pressure when I open a faucet.   So while I may have a full tank of water in my aft water tank, the faucet spurts out water and air like I am low on water.   If I fill the forward tank I don't have this problem.  The pressure is fine and the water comes out of the faucet without spurting air/water mixture.  Anyone else encountered this phenomenon?

s/v Plan B

Views: 187

Replies to This Discussion

Have you checked that the valve that close/open the pipe to the fwd tank on the manifold is closed? The manifold wthe the valves is located in the space next to the water boiler (in the sofa)

Are you suggesting that in order for the water tank in the aft cabin to work properly the forward tank valve located on the manifold must be closed when the forward tank is empty?  I thought the system was designed to send water to the manifold no matter what tank was full or empty.

You have two options: either fill both tanks and keep both valves open or use one tank at a time and close the valve of the other. Otherwise you are pumping air to the empty tank and naturally lowering the pressure. I used bothe options over the years. It is easier to control water consu potion when you open one valve at a time even when both tanks have water in it..

Correct. Tevfik has got it right. I am always running the system with only one valve open in order to keep track on consumption. It also helps me keep track on the state of freshness of the water. I prefer to empty one tank before it is filled up again. 

I have a 2011 Ben 40. When I use my water tanks I alway close the valve to the tank I am not using. My valves are located under the starboard seat just forward of the head. You may be drawing air into the pump from the empty forward tank. I always draw down the forward tank first to increase sailing performance and then turn its valve off and the aft valve on. 

Just a thought.

Latest Activity

LHOgden commented on SeaKnots's group O'Day Corner
"Even though I owned an 1980 O'Day 30, I can't answer that question.  However, a builder that screws in hand rails on a 30 foot cruiser would be asking for liability claims.  I don't believe O'Day would have done…"
2 hours ago
John commented on SeaKnots's group O'Day Corner
"Thanks Lynn, My Oday is an '84 Oday 30.  It does have one or two white caps on the cabin overhead, but it also has an interior handrail that is mounted on black rubber blocks.  I removed a bung from one of the interior handrails and…"
8 hours ago
LHOgden commented on SeaKnots's group O'Day Corner
"John, It depends.  What model O'Day are we speaking about?  Who put the rails on in the first place?  Are there white caps about 3/4 of an inch on the cabin overhead under where the handrails are?  If yes, the rails are…"
John commented on SeaKnots's group O'Day Corner
"Has anyone ever removed your handrails for resealing?  I have a leak and I'm not sure if I need to remove them from the topside or from below in the salon. "
John posted a discussion

Resealing handrails on Oday 30

I'm going to attempt to reseal my handrails on our 84' Oday 30.  I noticed there are screw holes (teak plugs) both on the topside and down in the salon.  Does anyone know if both screws need to be removed to reseal or just the topside screw?See More
Luis Vieira de Sá replied to sam's discussion Engine hour meter whacky in the group Beneteau 40 & 43
"Hi, Just before my starting battery (six years old) went dead when I was at anchor (that was another story) I was having erratic readings or better saying - the lcd was very difficult to read even during the night. When the new battery was mounted,…"
Sep 25
Luis Vieira de Sá replied to Robert & Sandy's discussion YANMAR 4JH5E GEAR SELECTION PROBLEMS in the group Beneteau 40 & 43
"Hello, I only saw this thread today! I had the same problem last year with my Oceanis 40 2010. In my case it was the reverse that would not engage all the times. I also was suggested to remove and check the gearbox. But it turned out that it was…"
Sep 25
Glenn is now a member of SeaKnots
Sep 24

© 2015   Created by CAN DRAC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service