SeaKnots

I do not rely upon the indicated level as shown on the fuel gauge, but keep a solid record of all fuel used. (averaging 0.7 GPH over time-no generator). However, I would like for the unit to roughly indicate some state of fill other than perpetually full. I have not attempted to sort out this issue yet, but thought I would ask the all knowing list for experience first.

This forum has really become a source of help and sharing.

Sam

LONGHAWK

Views: 3349

Replies to This Discussion

Hi I have a two cabin and it was not difficult to replace sender unit with the revised factory part with bent arm. Although you need to remove everything from port lazarette remove a few screws from the dividing wall, lift floors and timber beam. (But it would not be possible if a generator is in this location).

I intent to install a programmable NMEA2000 Tank level converter (Maretron or Lowrance) to convert existing sender output to NMEA2000/SeatalkNG and then program it for tank shape. Hopefully I will then be able to accurately display fuel level and fuel remaining on all Raymarine Seatalk2 or SeatalkNG instruments via a SeatalkNG backbone.

Regarding the water tanks in my model, there are 5 screws/probes through the side wall of water tanks at quarter levels, hence gauge only reads in quarters, no sender as such.
David

Hello,

In the end of the summer season I intend to replace the original (bent arm) 180 ohm fuel sender with one like this  http://www.wemausa.com/tank_sensors/tank_level_sensors.htm . The replacement is just to unscrew the old sender and screw the new one; Because of the shape of the tank, the reading will indicate full until the tank is about 3/4. However, from this level I expect the reading to be "linear" and I can tolerate this as I find more important a clear reading when the fuel is near the end (well before that of coarse).

Regarding the water tanks, I have sanded the screws that David refers to, and I nearly resolved the problems. However, in one of the tanks, one of the screws needs to be replaced because it shows no connection to the adapter. That is my problem as I neeed to remove the tank to get access to the wall where the screw sits. This is not easy as there is a piece of wood that does not allows me to free the tank.

Best Regards, Luis

Hello,

It was almost 6 years that I participated in the discussions about water and fuel level indicators in this forum. Only this winter I had a go on it. In particular I made the following:

a) installed 10-180 ohms sensors in the 2 water tanks

b) replaced the 2 senders (those which connect by 3 wires to the VDO panel) with my own designed sender.

c) on the back of the VDO I activated one extra water level indicator (2 were in use but 4 are available)

d) run a 3 wire cable from the back of the VDO panel (port side) to the waste tank (startside)

e) add 4 non-contact water level sensors on the external surface of the waste tank and connect them to my sender (it works with different type of inputs)

f) and I get the level of the waste tank on the VDO display as "fresh water tank number 4" (I could not change these words)

I have some PCBs available for the senders (arduino based) and I plan to make the software freely available. I start my sailing season next week (Italy and Greece) and may be only in September I will describe in full detail what I have done. At this moment I only have some photos in my website:

http://www.vela-navega.com/index.php/tank-monitors

I will be happy to discuss this with interested people. Just send me a PM or use this forum (or my forum).

Best Regards, Luis

RSS

Latest Activity

Patrick Findaro is now a member of SeaKnots
2 hours ago
Robert & Sandy replied to sam's discussion eyebrow salon window re-bed in the group Beneteau 40 & 43
"Hello all, I realise coming into this year old conversation could be somewhat strange though sharing advice is always beneficial.. Our B43 had her port large saloon window repaired under warranty after it developed a gap and obvious leak. The boat…"
Mar 12
dryfirewood is now a member of SeaKnots
Mar 4
zeehag left a comment for ___/)ances With Sails
"bubba died  but he seems tohave sent a nother special boy to me..a scared  confuzed precious  with name pusskins which i changed  to sir puurrcival pusskins.  much more refined name for such a precious furry one.  he is…"
Mar 3
___/)ances With Sails commented on LOLA's group SAILBOATS and SLIPS FOR SALE
"My boats for sale. Search Craigslist/New Orleans/S211_A"
Feb 22
___/)ances With Sails left a comment for Lola
"Happy belated holidays!  I'll email you. "
Feb 22
___/)ances With Sails left a comment for zeehag
"Karen!! Dang!!!!  How did Bubba use up 9 lives already? Sorry to read that, kid."
Feb 22
olivia scott updated their profile
Feb 11
ADVERTISE ON SEAKNOTS CONTACT US AT: 
candrac@sailforwater.com

© 2024   Created by CAN DRAC.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service