SeaKnots

Has anyone replaced the rudder bearings on a beneteau 40 2008/9? 

If someone has done this job could they please tell me what the part numbers are for both the bronze upper and lower bearing sleeves and also for the nylon thrust washers. The jefa? rudder shaft diameter is 60mm.

I have !ooked on the beneteau spare parts website without success.

Also I am trying to find the workshop notes for rep!acing the bearings as I know with the oceanis 411 the bottom bearing is glued (3M 5200) in but I don't know if the bearings are glued in on the beneteau 40.

I'm also hoping to find out the torque settings for the quadrant Bo!ts.

Many thanks for any information.

Views: 2232

Replies to This Discussion

I check rudder play every time the boat is hauled, which is every summer. I give it a good push and pull but suspect no where near the pressure you put on it. So far so good but I'll definitely check it a bit closer the next time she's out.

Mike

I forgot to say thanks Mike for the contact numbers for beneteau, they were very helpful.

My pleasure!

Ok further information: if anyone is still interested?

Today with the help my engineering mate we tested the bearings.

First of all beneteau insist that all rudder strengthening modifications for my boat have been done at the factory: There is a thorough bolted cross beam that looks like it replaces the metal bolt on bracket that was retrofited for problem boats( the metal bracket that fits between the quadrants) I tried to obtain the metal bracket from Beneteau but they wouldn't sell me it repeating that all necessary modifications have been done.

OK first test: Insert emergency tiller, I pulled on rudder shaft while the engineer watched from inside the boat.
Results: No obvious signs of any bearing wear, no movement at all in relation to support structures.However!! The rudder support structures flex and move a lot, my engineering mate had never seen anything like it before, and he has a considerable amount of experience over many years, across many different boats.

Second test: I dived and really hauled on the rudder at the tip and he watched and filmed:
Results: No signs of bearing problems, however again a serious amount of flex and movement from the steering support structures. When I watched the video it was disturbing, worrying.

We couldn't transfer the video to my tablet but will I do the test again and get my girlfriend to video, if possible I post here or link to the video.

The engineer checked for any detachment or lamination problems with the support structures, and there is none, all looks in excellent condition, nothing broken, separated or cracked all is well.

He also suggested that although there is a lot of movement it looks to be doing what is is supposed to, just that it flexes A LOT. We discussed possible modifications to stiffen it up, and decided on a slight modification to easily monitor the loading while underway, if the steering structures are getting a hammering then perhaps we should change trim or engine rpm etc.

One concern for me is the bottom bearing, where the steering tube joins the hull, it's glassed in, as this is a rigid connection the fiberglass must get cycled millions of times weakening it? each time the support structures flexes?!

Hmm I will look at that bit again in the next few day.

Interesting summary. Perhaps another call to Beneteau to discuss your results?
Mike

RSS

Latest Activity

Robert & Sandy replied to sam's discussion eyebrow salon window re-bed in the group Beneteau 40 & 43
"Hello all, I realise coming into this year old conversation could be somewhat strange though sharing advice is always beneficial.. Our B43 had her port large saloon window repaired under warranty after it developed a gap and obvious leak. The boat…"
Mar 12
dryfirewood is now a member of SeaKnots
Mar 4
zeehag left a comment for ___/)ances With Sails
"bubba died  but he seems tohave sent a nother special boy to me..a scared  confuzed precious  with name pusskins which i changed  to sir puurrcival pusskins.  much more refined name for such a precious furry one.  he is…"
Mar 3
___/)ances With Sails commented on LOLA's group SAILBOATS and SLIPS FOR SALE
"My boats for sale. Search Craigslist/New Orleans/S211_A"
Feb 22
___/)ances With Sails left a comment for Lola
"Happy belated holidays!  I'll email you. "
Feb 22
___/)ances With Sails left a comment for zeehag
"Karen!! Dang!!!!  How did Bubba use up 9 lives already? Sorry to read that, kid."
Feb 22
olivia scott updated their profile
Feb 11
olivia scott is now a member of SeaKnots
Feb 9
ADVERTISE ON SEAKNOTS CONTACT US AT: 
candrac@sailforwater.com

© 2024   Created by CAN DRAC.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service