SeaKnots

I would love to have a good stock of food on my boat for that unexpected weekend trip. I have read that you can do a lot with canned foods. I am not familiar with using canned food besides beans and corn.

In doing some research, I see that there is canned meat and canned fish (not just tuna).

I never realized how much I rely on fresh foods. Are there canned items that you have found to be tasty and good to have for the last minute trips or longer voyages?

Views: 140

Replies to This Discussion

To kick it off...I use the canned Goya lentils for the lentil salad that I make.

Lentil Salad: Cut fresh tomatoes (large), baby tomatoes, canned tuna and lentils (strained from the can) with some olive oil, salt and fresh pepper. Sometimes I will also cut up olives and sprinkle them in.
We always keep lots of canned stewed tomatoes on board. They are great to mix with pasta and vegetables or even seafood for a quick and easy dinner.
As far as I'm concerned, anything made by "Progresso" is great.

Years ago, every spring, just before launching, I'd take my girls and go 'boat food shopping'. The only rules were that it did not need refrigeration and would keep while stored. Now I do have to admit that some of the 'stuff' would not have been concidered for the house, but we found that on the boat things actually tasted pretty good.

One of our favorite staples was the fixings for clam chowder...caned clams, clam broth, evaporated milk. Although canned potatoes were tried, we found that bringing fresh potatoes, and fresh onions made this great.
I love canned refried beans...any kind...on soft flour tortillas. Both keep for extended periods of time....and are good for a snack or a meal.
We use canned meats by Werling - a web search will find a couple of sources for them. The only problem is the meat tends to fall apart so I generally add it last and don't stir to much. It all has good flavor.

Also canned chicken breast from Sam's or Costco. For easy storage, try the pouches of chicken breast you find in the supermarket. They have a long shelf life.
For a great simple side dish...one can french cut green beans, empty 1/2 the liquid, add envelope of Goya "jamon/ham" powder and heat. Viola green beens with ham flavor!

Also, canned corn with an envelope of "butter buds".

These all have a great shelf life.
Here's a great recipe that you can make almost entirely from canned goods and just add whatever fresh ingredients you happen to have. No one will be able to tell you used canned chicken. Also canned roast beef is delicious and is a great substitute for roast or stew or burritos.

Chicken Tortilla Soup
2lb of cooked chicken cut up into bite size pieces, or 2 cans of chicken breast meat
2-3 cans of chicken broth
1 can of Rotel tomatoes
1 can of chopped green chiles or jalepenos
1/2 medium onion diced
1/2 green pepper diced
4-8 oz of cream cheese (I use cream cheese in place of Sour cream on the boat because it keeps better)
1 can of corn (optional)
1/4 cup of uncooked rice (optional)
Cilantro chopped (add right before serving or use it as an optional topping if you or your guests don't like cilantro

Toppings

Tortilla chips (put 'em on the bottom or top, whatever your preference
Cheese
jalapenos
avocados
Guacamole
Sour Cream
salsa

Just throw all the ingredients in a large stock pot and let simmer all day or if you don't have all day just heat until cream cheese is melted and rice is done if you added it. Add cilantro right before serving. Top soup with whatever you like and enjoy.
I'm not much of a 'canned food' person. Haven't found much that isn't too bland to eat. The refried beans idea, however, does appeal to me.

I haven't done any trips longer than 3 days that weren't close to shore, so I have always been able to stock up. But I do have an 'emergency' supply. It's not canned though. It includes boxed soups from Trader Joe's (try the butternut squash - it's great!), sealed packs of nuts and granola mixes and banana chips, and several Mountain House camping meals. I try to bring 'fresh' along whenever I can. But these do for those times I forget, or when the crew or guest list ends up being larger than expected.
Here is another really yummy recipe courtesy of our friends on s/v Lee Ann

White Chicken Chili

3 15oz cans of Great Northern Beans
1 1/2-2 cups of cooked chopped chicken (can use canned)
1 10 oz cream of chicken
1 10 oz cream of celery
1 10 oz cheddar cheese
1 15 oz can of chicken broth
1 Tbsp of chili powder

Blend the cream of chicken, cream of celery and cheddar cheese soup first. Add other ingredients and simmer. Add salsa to taste and garnish with shredded cheese.

It makes a lot but is great for a get together on a chilly night.
I generally cook with fresh foods, but carry a lot of canned and similarly shelf-stable food.

Sauerkraut, chick peas, all kinds of tomatoes, corned beef hash, roasted peppers, deviled ham, boiled potatoes, corn, and peas for sure.

I usually use fresh or frozen corn and peas but I have some for emergencies.

Black and green olives, a bunch of different peppers, and capers in jars.

In vacuum-sealed bags flour and rice. In "sippy boxes" UHT milk.

Some things that good bad quickly turn out to be easily made from products that last a long time. I make my own mayonnaise, mustard, yogurt, and bread. The mayo requires firing up the inverter or generator for a stick blender, but everything else is readily made by hand. I just found a recipe for making risotto.

Eggs are the ultimately naturally-canned food. *grin*

sail fast and eat well, dave
S/V Auspicious
No one has mentioned SPAM! Its not as bad as you think...not with all the rules and regs now a days! And it comes in different flavors now.....bacon, chicken, etc....
Canned chicken makes good chicken curry!

We'd never be without canned tomatoes.

RSS

Latest Activity

Robert & Sandy replied to sam's discussion eyebrow salon window re-bed in the group Beneteau 40 & 43
"Hello all, I realise coming into this year old conversation could be somewhat strange though sharing advice is always beneficial.. Our B43 had her port large saloon window repaired under warranty after it developed a gap and obvious leak. The boat…"
Mar 12
dryfirewood is now a member of SeaKnots
Mar 4
zeehag left a comment for ___/)ances With Sails
"bubba died  but he seems tohave sent a nother special boy to me..a scared  confuzed precious  with name pusskins which i changed  to sir puurrcival pusskins.  much more refined name for such a precious furry one.  he is…"
Mar 3
___/)ances With Sails commented on LOLA's group SAILBOATS and SLIPS FOR SALE
"My boats for sale. Search Craigslist/New Orleans/S211_A"
Feb 22
___/)ances With Sails left a comment for Lola
"Happy belated holidays!  I'll email you. "
Feb 22
___/)ances With Sails left a comment for zeehag
"Karen!! Dang!!!!  How did Bubba use up 9 lives already? Sorry to read that, kid."
Feb 22
olivia scott updated their profile
Feb 11
olivia scott is now a member of SeaKnots
Feb 9
ADVERTISE ON SEAKNOTS CONTACT US AT: 
candrac@sailforwater.com

© 2024   Created by CAN DRAC.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service